Sunday, April 27, 2008

Shipp Declares For NBA Draft

By Bruin Basketball Report


Red-shirt junior Josh Shipp announced he has declared for the NBA draft but will not hire an agent immediately in order to maintain his NCAA eligibility.


"After speaking with my family and with Coach Howland, I think I should test the NBA waters to get some feedback," Shipp said. "I feel like it really can’t hurt me at this time. I want to go through the process this year, which will serve as a positive experience for me in my future development."


Shipp was part of Coach Ben Howland's first recruiting class which also included Jordan Farmar, Arron Afflalo, and Lorenzo Mata. Farmar and Afflalo are in the NBA while Mata just completed his senior campaign. Shipp red-shirted two seasons ago due to a hip injury and subsequent surgery.


He will likely go through the NBA draft workouts later this summer to gain a gauge on himself against the competition, in addition, he hopes to gain feedback from NBA scouts on his game.


"My experience at UCLA has been amazing," Shipp said. "It has been great being a part of so many winning teams. But at the same time, I’m at the later stages of my college career and I think it would be an advantage for me to test this year."


Shipp averaged 12.2 points and 3.2 rebounds a game last season and was named as an honorable mention All-Pac-10 Conference selection. Although he led the team in three-point field goals made with 70, he went through a prolonged shooting slump towards the end of the year. He shot only 20% from beyond the arc in the NCAA tournament.


He becomes the fourth Bruin to declare for the draft this year. Kevin Love, Russell Westbrook and Luc Richard Mbah a Mouted all opted for the draft earlier. Point-guard Darren Collison announced yesterday he was staying for his senior season at UCLA.


(photo by Bruin Basketball Report)

Labels:

9 Comments:

At Apr 27, 2008, 11:45:00 AM, Anonymous JD said...

No doubt Shipp will be back with fellow seniors Luc and, Alfred, and Collison to complete their great UCLA basketball legacies.

 
At Apr 27, 2008, 1:29:00 PM, Anonymous Don said...

I agree, he will be back hopefully with some insight as to where his game is lacking because when he is shooting it well he has a very sweet stroke.... Just needs to work harder to get space off of picks and such... I wish him nothing but the best whichever way it goes.

 
At Apr 27, 2008, 3:09:00 PM, Anonymous Wyatt said...

He's obviously just getting some experience with the draft process so he knows what to expect next year. No way he actually goes through with it.

 
At Apr 27, 2008, 3:33:00 PM, Anonymous jake said...

Right - pretty much a no-brainer for him to check this out. His last chance to do so and get real feedback. I would expect him back armed with 2nd and 3rd opinions. Since he did seem to no-show for the second half of the year - I would love for him to redeem himself and come out swinging for the fences next year.

 
At Apr 27, 2008, 5:41:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did Matt Lee and DeAndre Robinson also declare themselves available to the draft to test the waters? Hope they didn't miss their chance too with the deadline now being passed.

 
At Apr 27, 2008, 10:09:00 PM, Anonymous Rob said...

I think Matt Lee already hired an agent so there's no way he can return.

 
At Apr 27, 2008, 11:00:00 PM, Anonymous Bruinfan 2005 said...

It will be good experience for Luc and Shipp to go through the process this year.
I am getting more and more excited about the team for next year. The team looks alot like the 2007 year but with more experience. I think Keefe may do more than we expect...there were flashes of greatness last season.
Luc
Shipp/Roll
Gordon/Keefe
DC
Lee/Holiday

 
At Apr 28, 2008, 1:45:00 AM, Anonymous BruinFan said...

I know Howland has a big or two up his sleeve...I'm a believer

 
At May 3, 2008, 7:02:00 PM, Anonymous Mike said...

A big or two? From where? and with what scholarship? Why isn't he the hardest recruiter of Sidney he is in L.A.? Why is USC beating us to the punch? Sidney said so himself!
http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=803898

 

Post a Comment

<< Back To Bruin Basketball Report Home