Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Ryan Wright To Transfer From UCLA

By Bruin Basketball Report


UCLA men’s basketball coach Ben Howland announced today that 6-foot-8-inch sophomore forward/center Ryan Wright will not be returning for next season. Wright, from Mississauga, Ontario, Canada will transfer to play his final years at another school.




Wright will leave UCLA after the spring semester and hasn’t made a decision as to where he will transfer.


"Ryan is an outstanding young man and we appreciate what he has done for this program over the past two years," Howland said. "He worked hard everyday, showed great improvement and was an important part of our run to back-to-back Final Four appearances. We wish him nothing but the best.


"He will stay a part of the team and continue to work out with his coaches as well as his teammates during the spring. He will always be a part of the Bruin family and we appreciate all of his efforts over the past two years."


Wright averaged 1.3 points and 0.9 rebounds per game while appearing in 28 of the 36 games without making a start during the 2006-07 season. He played in 150 minutes (5.4 minutes per game) while shooting 58.3 percent (14-for-24) from the field on the year.


"After speaking with my family and thinking about it for a long time, I feel that at this point in my career, the best thing for me to do is to explore other opportunities," Wright said. "The coaching staff has helped me improve as a player and grow as a man and I am thankful to them for that. My teammates made me feel at home and I have a lot of great memories from my time here at UCLA."


(Press Release)

Labels:

11 Comments:

At Apr 18, 2007, 9:20:00 AM, Anonymous Bob said...

This makes complete sense. He was buried on the depth chart, and he wasn't going to move up during the rest of his time here. I wonder if he will try to transfer to another BCS-type school, or try a smaller brand of ball. Thanks for being a Bruin, Ryan!

 
At Apr 18, 2007, 10:57:00 AM, Anonymous J. Hager said...

I felt bad for the kid, he has talent, but needs the playing time.
I wish we could have watched him blossom at UCLA, but the playing time is key.
I'll always be a fan of Ryan Wright - smart kid, great attitude, go getter.

 
At Apr 18, 2007, 12:15:00 PM, Anonymous Q. Nguyen said...

I saw him playing some pickup with other team members yesterday at Wooden, Dragovic was airballing threes, but Wright nailed at least two in a row. Sad to see him go, but best of luck!

 
At Apr 18, 2007, 1:31:00 PM, Anonymous Bruin Basketball Report said...

In my meetings with Ryan Wright, I found him to be an intelligent, well-spoken, and hard-working young man. No matter how much he would have played next year, Ryan transferring is a big loss to the program.
Certainly with him transferring, it opens up a scholarship for next year, but let there be no doubt, the Bruins are losing a quality person and solid basketball player with good upside in Wright.
Ryan, best wishes in all your future endeavors. You will always be part of the UCLA family.
- BBR

 
At Apr 18, 2007, 2:26:00 PM, Anonymous Scott said...

Let's keep it real, Ryan Wright was a completely average player that lacked the emotion & confidence when on the court. Kevin Love has the size, ability and toughness we need to win title #12 next year. I've been watching and attending nearly all UCLA games since 1972 when I was 8 years old and I have to admit when the 88 game win streek ended @ Notre Dame I ran to my bathroom & cried for 30 min like a baby until my dad talked me out of there. Anyways, I feel UCLA has lacked physical & emotional toghness since the 80's, we need some more players like Love and also some Sidney Wicks, Curtis Rowe type of players that can intimidate somebody on the court (without being a thug). Guys that are a little mean & also how about an occasional high flyer! I hope Renardo Sidney is at the very top of our recruiting list and I do think Howland is the perfect coach to bring UCLA more championship banners! My other hope is that we finally eliminate that huge seatless area behind each basket and fill it with screaming bruin fans! Thanks again for keeping the awesome BBR site going this offseason!

 
At Apr 19, 2007, 1:59:00 AM, Anonymous BruinFan said...

To all the previous comments. I have a heart so it is sad to see Ryan leave the program. I will shed a tear of joy as we finally can add another POWER player to our weak frontline!!
Tomorrow is 4:20, but today is reason to celebrate!!

 
At Apr 19, 2007, 12:41:00 PM, Anonymous Swoop said...

Good luck Ryan!
So does this leave us with two scholarships open, now that Afflalo and Wright have left?
Any guesses on what Howland will do with them?

 
At Apr 19, 2007, 2:58:00 PM, Anonymous Derek said...

1. Alex Legion
2. Keep it in his pocket for next year.

 
At Apr 20, 2007, 8:26:00 AM, Anonymous BruinFan said...

Derek, who is Alex Legion...can you provide a link?
I saw somewhere on a web-site today they mention some 6' 4" shooting guard...I'm thinking we need a big men!!

 
At Apr 20, 2007, 12:46:00 PM, Anonymous BruinFan said...

On Scout.com Alex Legion is #33 for class of 2007...
I cannot wait to see what Howland pulls off....

 
At Apr 20, 2007, 2:47:00 PM, Anonymous Bruin Basketball Report said...

Alex Legion played for high school powerhouse Oak Hill Academy this season alongside fellow blue-chippers Nolan Smith and Brandon Jennings.
Legion had committed to Michigan when Tommy Amakar was Head Coach, but when Amakar was recently fired and replaced by former West Virginia Coach John Beilein, Legion requested and was granted a release from his committment.
Legion is an athletic 6'4 shooting guard who shot over 40% from three-point distance last season. He is considering among other schools, UCONN, UCLA, Kansas, Kentucky, and has not ruled out returning to Michigan.
- BBR

 

Post a Comment

<< Back To Bruin Basketball Report Home