Thursday, October 12, 2006

UCLA's Lorenzo Mata's Surgery Complete

By Bruin Basketball Report


UCLA junior center Lorenzo Mata had arthroscopic surgery today on his right knee at the UCLA Medical Center outpatient surgery facility, performed by UCLA team physician Dr. Gerald Finerman.


A small tear of Mata's right medial meniscus was removed back on June 16, 2006. Today, Mata's medial meniscus was found intact, but cartilage fragments from his knee were removed.


It is anticipated that Mata will be out four-to-five weeks for recovery.


"We are happy with the outcome of the surgery and look forward to his complete and full recovery," UCLA Head Coach Ben Howland said. "He is a very important part of our team and we will take a conservative approach in bringing him back. Once we get him back, we want him back for good."

Labels:

4 Comments:

At Oct 20, 2006, 9:51:00 AM, Anonymous Mike Brown said...

I love this site!! I may be the only Bruin fan in Tucson, but I still go to the UA-UCLA games in my vintage Alcindor era championship shirt!!
How does the team look in early scrimmages....how does Aboya look, I think he may be the key with his ability to score....we haven't much of that in previous years.

 
At Oct 20, 2006, 10:39:00 AM, Anonymous Bruin Basketball Report said...

Welcome to the site. We have quite a number of BBR readers from the Tucson area. Not sure if they're friend or foe but we're certain none of them are bold enough to go into McKale with #33 emblazened across their back in blue/gold. You're the man!
Nothing to report from practices yet since they've been closed to the media and general public and its still relatively early in the session but stay tuned.
Not sure if Aboya will be the Bruin to provide consistent offensive production. He will definitely get his share of hustle points off rebounds and loose balls but his offensive game isn't quite developed. As awkward as Mata looks in the paint, his post moves are better than Aboya's at this point.
One player who may surprise is Ryan Wright. He has the best post moves among all the Bruin big men. If Wright can learn the flow of the offense and stay focused, he may be a big factor in the Bruin's success this season.
- BBR

 
At Oct 22, 2006, 5:42:00 PM, Anonymous Danny Wansley said...

I'm a 60 year old basketball coach in St. Louis,Mo. and I have loved UCLA basketball since I was 10 years old. Coach Wooden is the reason I'm a coach to day,I love the man. For the past two years I have attended the Pac. 10 Tournament and will be there this season.
D.Wansley

 
At Oct 22, 2006, 6:14:00 PM, Anonymous Bruin Basketball Report said...

There is much to love about the man.
I had the opportunity to sit down and chat with Coach Wooden at his home recently. He is the most gracious and humble man I have ever met in my life.
I'm sure he'd be touched by the story of your career path.
- BBR

 

Post a Comment

<< Back To Bruin Basketball Report Home